Outside General Counsel
Charlot Law and Consulting acts as an outside Charlotte NC legal department advising and counseling small business clients. Having an on-call counsel makes small businesses healthier, more stable, and better able to stay mission-focused.
Whether you are considering new opportunities, navigating difficult dynamics, or need help understanding and negotiating contract terms, you will benefit from having a Charlotte lawyer who understands your business, your budget and the specific issue you are encountering.
Most small businesses and entrepreneurs do not look for outside counsel unless and until faced with a specific problem or transaction. Healthy businesses proactively screen for legal issues and invite periodic compliance checks, establishing relationships with counsel so that reliable advice is easily accessible when needed.
In a general counsel capacity, CLC would provide legal services on a wide variety of areas relevant to small businesses and entrepreneurs:
- Strategic Ownership Structuring (including entity formation and entity conversions)
- Employment and HR Issues
- Review/Draft Contracts and Agreements
- Licenses and Permits
- Financing and Investing
- Regulatory and Compliance
- Advise Individuals Looking to Buy into a Franchise
- Leases and Other Real Estate Matters
- Legal Disputes
- Trademarks, and Copyright Registrations
- Non-Compete Agreements
Doing things right from the beginning is the key to success. Proper legal counsel is essential during the formation of any startup. Careful documentation and strategic efficiencies are crucial to support a startup’s success for years to come. During this process, Charlot Law and Consulting uses legal expertise to address potential issues and craft long-term strategies for your small business.
Here is a short list of services CLC provides to facilitate the startup process as a Charlotte law firm:
- Reserve Entity Names
- Draft/File Formation Documents
- File Authorizations to do Business in Other Jurisdictions
- Obtain Employer Identification Numbers (EINs)
- Help Prepare Statement of Purpose, Mission Statement, etc.
- Advise on Board of Directors Issues
- Draft Bylaws
- Prepare Governing Documents
- Assist with Financial and Investor Structuring and Arrangements
- Review Franchise Disclosure Document and Franchise Agreements
Implementing the right strategies is critical to effective organizational change. Whether you want to merge, establish a subsidiary, simplify your legal structure, or transfer property to another entity, Charlot Law and Consulting can help evaluate the options and develop implementation strategies to conserve resources.
CLC helps you find efficiencies and apply strategies to save time, money and make change less stressful. CLC identifies needs, develops tools to assess options, and provides a roadmap for implementing the plan. All details are considered to make transitions as fluid as possible.
Services that CLC provides to facilitate the restructuring process include:
- Due Diligence on Potential Affiliations and Acquisitions
- Formation of Sister Entities and Subsidiaries (LLCs and others)
- Evaluation and Simplification of Corporate Structures
- Review and Amendment of Governing Documents
- Affiliation Agreements
- New Venture Structures
- Joint Venture Agreements
- Business Succession Plan
- Asset and Liability Protection
Dispute and Crisis Management
Conflict can disrupt a business’s operations, and it can disrupt an individual’s life. These problems can come in the form of threatened litigation, employee misconduct, or internal disputes. CLC can be your business’s strongest line of defense by bringing the right combination of experience and resources to difficult situations. Charlot Law and Consulting can help you think systematically about short- and long-term solutions.
When a dispute or crisis arises, CLC will work with you to aggressively pursue the best outcome. First, the facts giving rise the situation will be investigated, assessed, and analyzed. Then, CLC will counsel you on the best approach to deal with the issue. CLC will continue to work until a favorable resolution under the circumstances can be achieved.
CLC can offer representation with regard to disputes in the following areas:
- Board Member Disagreements
- Shareholder Disputes
- Fraud and Embezzlement Investigations and Resolutions
- Non-Compete Agreements
- Insurance Coverage Issues
- Attorney General investigations
- Settlement Agreements
- Collection Matters
- Consumer Complaints
- Employment Discrimination
- Wage and Hour Disputes
- Construction Disputes
- Succession Planning
- Self-Dealing, Private Inurement Transactions